Stewed gizzards are one of the most popular snacks in Portugal. It is a delicious snack, in which the trick is in the sauce, which has an intense and slightly spicy flavor. This snack is sided with bread (sometimes also rice or pasta) so that it can be dipped in the appetizing sauce.
Chicken gizzards are the viscera and offal of the bird; it is a cheap ingredient, which is always good. It may seem like a strange ingredient, but with a good sauce, you won’t want anything else. You have to be careful that it is a fibrous organ, so it must be cooked for a long time over low heat, otherwise, it becomes very hard and difficult to chew.
My mother-in-law created the recipe described below, and it is delicious. Just thinking about these gizzards makes my mouth water.
Ingredients to cook Gizzards
- 1 kg of chicken gizzards
- 1 glass of water
- 1 glass of white wine
- 1 glass of beer
- 0.5 cup of tomato pulp
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- olive oil to taste
- 1 dried or fresh chili
- salt to taste
- 1 sprig of parsley
Servings: 4 people;
Cooking time: 50 to 60 minutes.
Stewed Gizzards Recipe
- Make a stew with olive oil and onion. Add the garlic when the onion is golden and let it sauté a little without burning.
- Add the tomato pulp and the gizzards. The gizzards must be free of fat and cut into 3 or 4 pieces.
- Add the glass of water, and let it boil.
- When the water is boiling, add a glass of wine, beer, bay leaf, paprika, and salt.
- The sauce is allowed to boil for 5 minutes, and the stove’s temperature is reduced.
- Cook the gizzards for about 40 min until they are well cooked.
- If necessary, add a little more water and check the seasoning.
- When the gizzards are soft and with a thick sauce, turn off the stove.
- Add the chopped parsley to taste, and they are ready to be eaten.
This dish is traditionally served as a snack. In a small dish, grab a toothpick and eat the gizzard and dip the bread in the sauce. But it can also be served as a main meal with rice.